19101924 | 19251926 | 19271930 | 19311943 | MORE RECENT
THE NEW YORK TIMES October 31, 1927 Page 19, Column 4
UNVEIL MONUMENT TO HOUDINI AT GRAVE
Magicians Pay High Tribute to Most Famous Member of Their Profession
A monument to Harry Houdini, magician, erected at his grave in Machpelah Cemetery; Cypress Hills, was unveiled yesterday. Magicians, actors and representatives of fraternal orders tool part in the two-hour ceremony, which was attended by more than 500 persons.
The monument, thirty-five feet long and twelve feet high, is surmounted by a bronze bust of Houdini. The family name, Weiss, is engraved on the monument. Two end pedestals are dedicated to Houdinis parents, the Rev. Dr. Mayer Weiss and Cecelia Weiss, both dead. The name Houdini, assumed by the magician for professional purposes, appears under the bust, just beneath the seal of the Society of American Magicians, done in a medallion of Venetian mosaic in gold, red and green.
To the left of the base of the central pedestal is the kneeling figure of a woman, representing Grief. The monument, except the bust, is of Barre Granite.
The Rev. B.A. Tintner conducted religious services. Several speakers eulogized Houdini. B.M.L. Ernst, lawyer and President of the Society of American Magicians, mentioned Houdinis campaign against spiritualistic impostors.
Other speakers were Richard E. Enright, former Police Commissioner; Henry Chesterfield, Secretary of the National Vaudeville Association; Loney Haskell of the Jewish Theatrical Guild, Frederick Eugene Powell, dean of American magicians; William T. Phillips of Elks Lodge No. 1, Shepard G. Barclay of St. Cecile Lodge of Masons and Elmer P. Ransom, Past President of the Society of American Magicians.
This article is reproduced here only for educational purposes. Please do not copy the text or accompanying images for commercial use.
HOME ABOUT ARTICLES LINKS
Back to Top